An example from ATL Urbanist shows another great example of how we've forgotten what's good for the humans:
The top image is taken from a 1909 aerial map of Atlanta, at the intersection of Trinity Avenue and Forsyth Street. It’s typical of the compact land use of pre-automobile cities. The bottom photo shows what we have in that spot today.
I shaded in blue what is pretty much the only set of structures left intact after the surroundings were obliterated by the desire to build parking lots.
Previous example here.
If you got value from this post, please consider the following:
- Sign up for my email list
- Like The Messy City Facebook Page
- Follow me on Twitter
- Invite or refer me to come speak
- Check out my urban design services page
- Tell a friend or colleague about this site